FCC Vision Statement: Building on Exposition, Centering on Christ, Dying in Community, Serving on Mission
(NOTE: Allow 30-90 seconds after clicking the START-arrow or Download-button for recording to begin.)
The Gospel Witness of Christian Suffering — Associate Pastor Trey Russell
Stand Alone Sermon
October 20, 2019
DEEP SHEET: Sermon Study Questions
1. Consider the background of the conflict in these verses. What is the root of the council's anger toward Stephen?
2. What does it mean to say that Stephen is a "full Christian" and why is this important to note at the beginning of this passage? In what ways can we, likewise, be full of the Holy Spirit?
3. How does God strengthen Stephen before he endures his martyrdom? What does Jesus' posture indicate? In the midst of your own trials, is your gaze on the storm around you or on the Lord above?
4. In what ways does Stephen's death mirror the death of Christ and why is does Luke take pains to make this known? What can we learn from Christ's and Stephen's death about how we ought to treat our enemies?
5. What ought to be our expectation when it comes to suffering and persecution? How does our experience in America tend to blind us to this expectation?
6. How does Stephen's death ultimately lead to the spread of the gospel to the ends of the earth? Consider how the Lord might use your witness in the midst of suffering as a testimony to the gospel.