FCC Vision Statement: Building on Exposition, Centering on Christ, Dying in Community, Serving on Mission
(NOTE: Allow 30-90 seconds after clicking the START-arrow or Download-button for recording to begin.)
The Climactic Test, Part 2 — Lonnie D. Bell, Jr.
Sermon Series: Genesis
March 24, 2019
DEEP SHEET: Sermon Study Questions
1. What have we learned about God’s character from this story before we even get his response to Abraham’s obedience?
2. Why is this the only fitting test for Abraham? What is the relationship here between faith and obedience, and why is it so important that we get this right in the Christian life?
3. How does God affirm Abraham? In what ways have you seen God give affirmation and assurance in your life?
4. How does this story picture Christ’s sacrifice as the Lamb of God?
5. Why does God make an oath? How does this text show his trustworthiness?
6. How does the genealogy at the end of the chapter point us both forward and backwards in the book of Genesis?
References: Genesis 21:12; Hebrews 11:19; Proverbs 8:13; 9:10; Job 1:1; 1 Peter 1:7; Matthew 3:17; John 3:16; Romans 8:32; Isaiah 53:7, 10; John 1:29; 18:12; 19:17-18; 1 Peter 1:19; Revelation 5:6, 9; Galatians 3:16; Hebrews 6:13-20; Genesis 11:26-32; 21:33.