FCC Vision Statement: Building on Exposition, Centering on Christ, Dying in Community, Serving on Mission
(NOTE: Allow 30-90 seconds after clicking the START-arrow or Download-button for recording to begin.)
The Climactic Test, Part 1 — Lonnie D. Bell, Jr.
Sermon Series: Genesis
March 17, 2019
DEEP SHEET: Sermon Study Questions
1. Why does this weighty test come at this particular time in Abraham’s life? What does this imply about how God tests us?
2. What do the opening verses suggest about the relationship between God and Abraham? Why is this so important for understanding Abraham’s response?
3. What does it mean to say that Isaac represents Abraham’s heart and hope?
4. In what ways do we see Abraham’s obedience? How do his words show what is going on in his heart?
5. How does this narrative help us to trust God during times of much confusion?
6. What does it mean to say that Abraham valued the Giver over the gift and that the Word was supreme over his will? What does this look like in our lives?
7. How do we explain the incredible strength of Abraham’s character depicted in this passage, and what does that suggest about our own lives? How does it show the glory of God’s grace through the work of Christ?
References: Genesis 12:1; 2 Chronicles 3:1; Deuteronomy 8:2, 16; Genesis 21:12; Hebrews 11:19; James 2:18-24.