(NOTE: Allow 30-90 seconds after clicking the START-arrow or Download button for recording to begin.)
The Letter to Laodicea -- Will Daane
Stand Alone Sermon
13 August 2017
Deep Sheet: Sermon Study Questions
1. Discuss the two main passages that are largely misunderstood in contemporary Christian circles (hot/cold, stand and knock). How have you previously understood these passages?
2. Seeing that Jesus himself hallows his own name before he dispenses his words to Laodicea (like he tells us to do in “the Lord’s Prayer”), what can we learn from this in terms of our prayers? How has your prayer life been challenged in terms of honoring God before asking him for things?
3. When John Piper says that Jesus didn't redeem his bride so that she might leave him on the porch while she watches TV in the den; what is your version of “watching TV”? What do you push Jesus aside to focus on? Where, other than Jesus, do you turn for comfort?
4. Do you find yourself like the Laodicean church (lukewarm); or do you feel useful (hot/cold)? If lukewarm, how can we begin to feel useful again?
5. In what ways have you found yourself (literally or figuratively), like the Laodicean church, tell God: “I am rich, I have prospered, I need nothing”.