(NOTE: Allow 30-60 seconds after clicking the START-arrow for recording to begin.)
Adultery Rightly Understood -- Lonnie Bell
Sermon Series: The Sermon on the Mount
30 April 2017
DEEP SHEET: Sermon Study Questions
1. Why do we have a tendency to think of adultery as merely external? What does Jesus have to say about the heart?
2. How do Jesus’ words bring together the 7th and 10th Commandments (Exodus 20:14, 17)?|
3. Why should Jesus’ teaching on adultery humble us and draw us to the cross?
4. How do the eyes both follow and inform the heart? Discuss the examples of Job (31:1, 9) and David (2 Samuel 11:2-4).
5. What would it look like for you to make a “covenant with your eyes” (Job 31:1)? Discuss what it means to avoid repeating, gazing, dwelling, imagining, and pursuing.
6. Why do these verses represent such a serious indictment of pornography in particular? Discuss the negative effect of pornography on one’s marriage.
7. In response to vv. 29-30, what do you need to cut off or dig out of your life in order to protect yourself from the destructive power of sexual sin? How does Romans 8:13 encourage us to fight without relying on our own strength?