FCC Vision Statement: Building on Exposition, Centering on Christ, Dying in Community, Serving on Mission
(NOTE: Allow 30-90 seconds after clicking the START-arrow or Download-button for recording to begin.)
The Line of Judah — Pastor Lonnie D. Bell, Jr.
Sermon Series: Genesis
September 22, 2019
DEEP SHEET: Sermon Study Questions
1. Why does Moses put this story about Judah and Tamar at this point in Genesis? What are the respective roles of Judah and Joseph in God’s overall plan?
2. How does Revelation 5:5 help us to appreciate the relevance of this story for our lives?
3. Describe Judah’s moral and spiritual descent. How does his story show us that sin desensitizes us to further sin?
4. What role does this Hirah figure play in the narrative? What impact should this have on our relationships?
5. Compare and contrast the sins of Judah and Tamar. Why does Judah say, “She is more righteous than I” (v. 26)? How do these words give us hope about Judah’s future?
6. How does this narrative show God’s preservation and electing grace towards his covenant people? How does it show his hatred and judgment towards sin?
References: Revelation 5:5; Proverbs 13:20; Deuteronomy 25:5-6; Genesis 39:2.